Hey there :)
This is Zeynep Başgöze (or "Basgoze" without the beautiful Turkish letters)!
Welcome to my academic life that is covered with pride, tears, resistance, courage, persistence, patience, success, and happiness.
I graduated from Boğaziçi University, Philosophy Department. Then I told myself "Okay, I've learned great questions, but I now need some answers!" So, I started my masters in METU, Cognitive Sciences Department, and then got my PhD from the same department.
I taught cognitive psychology in Bilkent and Baskent Universities' Psychology Departments for a while. Although I love teaching, my unstoppable passion for research and learning more and more made me decide to change my path. Therefore, I started to work as a post-doctoral fellow in Dr. Emily Cooper's lab at the Psychological and Brain Sciences Department, Dartmouth College . When our lab moved to Berkeley, I kept working with Dr. Cooper as a postdoctoral researcher at the School of Optometry, University of California Berkeley. Even if I loved working at this amazing working environment with both super smart and kind people, I realized that I really missed working on Major Depression Disorder and analyzing fMRI data. Therefore, I recently moved to Minneapolis to work on adolescent depression with Dr. Kathryn Cullen in the department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences at the University of Minnesota Medical School.
I am a research enthusiast, mainly working on cognitive neuroscience. I'm specialized in designing both behavioral & fMRI experiments. I am particularly interested in emotion regulation impairments in psychiatric disorders, such as major depression disorder; and I am also interested in binocular vision, visual adaptation, as well as brain plasticity.
Apart from my scientific skills, I do ballet, I write poems (only in Turkish), and try to learn playing cello :)
• METU Best MSc Thesis of Informatics Institute Award (2010)
• Turkish Psychopharmachology Association Poster award (2nd Place): 'Volumetric morphology analysis of compartments of the anterior cingulate cortex in major depressive disorder' (2007)
• Graduated in the 2nd place from Philosophy Department, Boğaziçi University (2005)
University of Minnesota,
Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
UC Berkeley School of Optometry
Dartmouth Computational Vision Group
Psychological and Brain Sciences, Dartmouth College
Cognitive Neuroscience Lab, Başkent University Psychology Department
(2015 - 2017)
Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging Lab, METU Informatics Institute, Medical Informatics
(2006 - 2015)
(Brain Research and Application Center), Ankara University (2009-2012)
• Neuroimaging certificate by Bilkent UMRAM (National Magnetic Resonance Research Center) (2010)
• Neurocognitive tests in psychiatry certificate by 2nd National Congress on Psychopharmacology board (2007)
• Radio courses certificate by METU Radio Society
• Copywriting certificate by Boğaziçi University, English Language and Literature Department (2005)
•Art Certificate (Ballet & Photography) by Boğaziçi University, Fine Arts Department (2005)